Accredited Carbon Literacy Training for School Leaders
Take your school’s sustainability goals to the next level
This Carbon Literacy training course has been designed, specifically for busy school leaders, it is accredited by the Carbon Literacy Project (CLP) and fully aligned with the new DFE ‘Sustainability and Climate Change Strategy’.
“The challenge of climate change is formidable. For children and young people to meet it with determination, and not with despair, we must offer them not just truth, but also hope. Learners need to know the truth about climate change – through knowledge-rich education. They must also be given the hope that they can be agents of change, through hands-on activity and, as they progress, through guidance and programmes allowing them to pursue a green career pathway in their chosen field.”
Former Secretary of State for Education, the Rt Hon Nadhim Zahawi MP
Welcoming school leaders and team members to improve their sustainability
Learners will be supported to identify practical steps and to get involved in their organisation’s sustainability & low carbon journey.
Who should attend the Carbon Literacy Training:
- Senior School and Multi Academy Trust Leaders
- Senior School and Multi Academy Trust Sustainability Leaders
- Senior School and Multi Academy Trust Operations Team members e.g. Finance, Business and Operations managers
We aim to support learners in achieving their personal sustainability goals and to provide the knowledge and tools that will help accelerate the collective change in understanding and behaviour to meet the climate challenge across their organisations.
Online training to tackle the climate emergency
The course is accredited by the Carbon Literacy Project and consists of learning modules as follows.
- 2 x self-paced video based on-line modules to be completed in your own time
1 x final module run as a 3 hour online workshop which is specific to schools, academies and academy trusts providing a practical guide and resources to help start NetZero action planning including examples, templates and links to useful resources and sources of specialist help
- 2 x optional Modules for Faith Schools and Educators
Carbon Literacy: “An awareness of the carbon dioxide costs and impacts of everyday activities, and the ability and motivation to reduce emissions, on an individual, community and organisational basis.”
Accredited Carbon Literacy Training Course Details
On-boarding Webinar (30-45 minutes)
Modules 1 & 2 (approx. 1 hour per Unit)
- Module 1/Unit 1 (Living in a Greenhouse): an introduction to climate science
- Module 1/Unit 2 (Alternative Futures): an examination of the consequences of continued global warming
- Module 2/Unit 1 (Climate Change & the UK): consideration of the position in the UK, impact & policy
- Module 2/Unit 2 (A Sustainable Future): an introduction to mitigation strategies and climate change resilience
Module 3 Unit 1 (approx. 1 hour)
- Module 3/Unit 1 NetZero Background & Context across UK School & Education
- COP26 – Time for action
- Ten Lost Years
- Benefits of Action
- Monitor & Report – The Challenge for Schools & Trusts
Module 3 Unit 2 (approx. 3 hours live webinar/workshop)
- Module 3 Unit 2 (Leadership for Zero Carbon) Delivered as an extended live webinar or face to face workshop: consideration of the role of education leaders in driving change in their institutions and communities.
- Webinar/Workshop prep (approx. 1 hour) inc completing a simple personal carbon footprint
- Introduction & context – 1.5ºC post COP26, barriers to change in schools, where to start and areas of influence as a School Leader
- Developing a NetZero Pathway:
- Action planning
- Behaviour Change
- Target Setting
- Scopes and reporting
- Procurement and sustainable operations
- Community Outreach and Influencing others
Module 4 – Educators Only (approx. 1 hour per Unit)
- Module 4/Unit 1 (Teaching & Learning) Engaging students, curriculum design and methodology.
- Module 4/Unit 2 (Faith and R.E.) An optional unit for faith schools and teachers of R.E. looking at the position of major faiths.
Carbon Literacy Project (CLP) accreditation task (approx. 30mins)
- Evidence-based assessment
- Appropriate personal pledges and NetZero commitments
The Climate Emergency Training for School Leaders is delivered in partnership with enFrame and accredited by the Carbon Literacy Trust.